News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

So What's A White Boy To Do?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 27, 2012, 06:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

And that's really why this whole thing is ridiculous. Who the fuck is anyone here to tell anyone else here what is or isn't culturally appropriate for them?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Elder Iptuous

trying to codify acceptability in context of cultural affectation seems silly to me, and trying to enforce it (by social means) seems unlikely to accomplish anything.
people bent out of shape about it could perhaps better change the situation and be better adjusted by simply making fun of the appropriators rather than getting their war bonnets ruffled...

Juana

ECH, will you humor me for a minute, please? I want to answer that, or try, and I'd appreciate it if you would.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

East Coast Hustle

Or, from another angle: If we as a society stopped treating certain cultures and groups like absolute shit and treated them as full equals, would anyone give two ratfucks if white people wore war bonnets? So this is really just a distraction from the real issues, but since it's easy to make noise about and all you have to do to be on the right moral side of the issue is to NOT do things, it's a really easy way for well-to-do white people to feel better about themselves.

LOOK HERE, OLD CHAP! I'M NOT WEARING A WAR BONNET AND YOU SHOULDN'T BE EITHER!
\
:lord:

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Juana

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on November 28, 2012, 05:30:02 PM
trying to codify acceptability in context of cultural affectation seems silly to me, and trying to enforce it (by social means) seems unlikely to accomplish anything.
people bent out of shape about it could perhaps better change the situation and be better adjusted by simply making fun of the appropriators rather than getting their war bonnets ruffled...

People generally don't respond well to having important parts of their culture absconded with and disrespectfully portrayed by others. Making fun of them is something I've observed, too, but frankly I understand why someone might get angry.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 28, 2012, 05:10:46 PM
People can make fun of their own culture and similar ones, whether or not they subscribe to the part they're making fun of. Cultures steeped in wider memes, like Christianity, can make fun of those memes, again, whether or not that person subscribes to them.

Or at least that's what makes sense to me.

I can make fun of whatever I find to be silly, no matter what size or cultural background is involved.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 28, 2012, 05:32:27 PM
Or, from another angle: If we as a society stopped treating certain cultures and groups like absolute shit and treated them as full equals, would anyone give two ratfucks if white people wore war bonnets? So this is really just a distraction from the real issues, but since it's easy to make noise about and all you have to do to be on the right moral side of the issue is to NOT do things, it's a really easy way for well-to-do white people to feel better about themselves.

\

THIS.

RIGHT HERE.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 28, 2012, 05:28:40 PM
And that's really why this whole thing is ridiculous. Who the fuck is anyone here to tell anyone else here what is or isn't culturally appropriate for them?

It is a religious and cultural requirement for me to take the piss on anything and everything.

And if You People can't handle that, then you're being damned insensitive about my culture.

Juana

\
I tend to think that if we weren't treating them like shit, like their culture was a novelty, no white person would probably think about wearing a war bonnet or putting Shiva on their shorts. Not treating people like shit requires respecting their culture.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 28, 2012, 05:38:02 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 28, 2012, 05:10:46 PM
People can make fun of their own culture and similar ones, whether or not they subscribe to the part they're making fun of. Cultures steeped in wider memes, like Christianity, can make fun of those memes, again, whether or not that person subscribes to them.

Or at least that's what makes sense to me.

I can make fun of whatever I find to be silly, no matter what size or cultural background is involved.
I almost said something to that effect, but I'm still not sure. IF a person is doing it accurately and with the understanding of the context in which said silly thing exists, maybe? Probably?

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 28, 2012, 05:39:50 PM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 28, 2012, 05:28:40 PM

It is a religious and cultural requirement for me to take the piss on anything and everything.

And if You People can't handle that, then you're being damned insensitive about my culture.
I'm for making fun of things accurately and not in ways that express bigotry (NOT accusing you of that, but people in general do that a lot). General human nature that applies across cultures is open season.

LMNO

I can't put Shiva in my shorts?

YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR--

Oh, you said on my shorts.  Still, it's a stretch to call that disrespectful, isn't it?

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 28, 2012, 05:34:36 PM

People generally don't respond well to having important parts of their culture absconded with and disrespectfully portrayed by others. Making fun of them is something I've observed, too, but frankly I understand why someone might get angry.

of course nobody likes to be disrespected.  some people might get violent (i.e. Mohammed cartoon response), some might get angry (crucifix in peejar response).  i can understand the latter, but it's really a personal problem unless they're causing material harm, no?

as far as having culture absconded with, i don't get that at all.  nobody is taking anything from you.  they're imitating.  if they're making an effort to do it well, that's flattery.  if they're not, then it's laughable.  so laugh.

Juana

A person with Shiva-shorts is a) exploiting Hindu culture commercially and b) putting their ass on one of the most important deities in the religion. It's stripping the meaning off Shiva because he kind of looks cool, which is kind of an asshole move, imo.

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on November 28, 2012, 06:02:01 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 28, 2012, 05:34:36 PM

of course nobody likes to be disrespected.  some people might get violent (i.e. Mohammed cartoon response), some might get angry (crucifix in peejar response).  i can understand the latter, but it's really a personal problem unless they're causing material harm, no?

as far as having culture absconded with, i don't get that at all.  nobody is taking anything from you.  they're imitating.  if they're making an effort to do it well, that's flattery.  if they're not, then it's laughable.  so laugh.
I think Nigel put it well. To paraphase her, it's an affect-effect of colonization. "Oh hey, here's another thing I can take! *yoink*"

Elder Iptuous

Juana

Except something is. It's not tangible, but it's taking meaning.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 28, 2012, 05:44:25 PM

\
I tend to think that if we weren't treating them like shit, like their culture was a novelty, no white person would probably think about wearing a war bonnet or putting Shiva on their shorts. Not treating people like shit requires respecting their culture.

Absolute horseshit. I can think of numerous cultures I don't have even a tiny shred of respect for, yet if I encounter someone who is a part of that culture I still treat them decently, like they're another human being. Not treating people like shit just requires not treating people like shit regardless of what you think about their culture or other ultimately superficial aspects of them.