News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Okay, someone explain womens' clothing sizes to me.

Started by Doktor Howl, October 19, 2011, 07:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 20, 2011, 07:58:15 PM
Quote from: Regret on October 20, 2011, 07:47:33 PM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on October 20, 2011, 06:23:14 PM
Teeshirt that's too small shows off the abs. Jeans that are too big + a good belt lets my legs move about anywhere I need them to. Comfy pair of boots or trainers means I can walk for miles and/or climb stupid shit when I'm drunk. Job done. Full outfit for 70 quid. Anyone who looks at me and thinks I look like shit? Fuck 'em.

Hanging your self image on a bunch of dumb magazines or a bunch of even dumber primates is retarded.

Well said.
I loathe anything tight around my neck though, so t-shirts are rarely comfortable.

Sucks to be you guys.  I look good in a suit.

HAWT.

I do enjoy my tailored suit and shirt. Not only do they feel great, but people treat me like royalty and call me "sir," constantly.

I need more excuses to wear it...
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Nigel on October 20, 2011, 08:05:18 PM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on October 20, 2011, 06:23:14 PM
Teeshirt that's too small shows off the abs. Jeans that are too big + a good belt lets my legs move about anywhere I need them to. Comfy pair of boots or trainers means I can walk for miles and/or climb stupid shit when I'm drunk. Job done. Full outfit for 70 quid. Anyone who looks at me and thinks I look like shit? Fuck 'em.

Hanging your self image on a bunch of dumb magazines or a bunch of even dumber primates is retarded.

I'm glad you've solved the problem of poor body image and related low self-esteem among teens... you should give motivational talks at high schools and maybe open an eating disorder treatment center.

I'd have paid money for P3nT to come to my high school and tell us how we're all retarded.

Maybe not for that issue, specifically, but I still would.

Mangrove

Quote from: Mangrove on October 20, 2011, 08:03:06 PM

Unrealistic/Impossible expectations ahoy!

(How much plastic surgery needed to be a Barbie)

FUCK YOU IMAGESHACK.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Mangrove

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Cain on October 20, 2011, 11:53:44 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 19, 2011, 07:56:58 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 19, 2011, 07:54:08 PM
It gets better: Women's sizes are not standard.  One company's size 6 is another company's size 9.

My personal belief is that it's a male conspiracy to keep women body-obsessed, shamed, and self-critical so they don't all get together and take over the world.

My belief is that women are involved, too.  But yeah, if you've ever seen the cover of Cosmopolitan Magazine, the "standard" that's set is laughable.  If a woman doesn't look like a 14 year old boy, she's a fatass, right?

And people will not even try to meet a standard like that.  They'll just give up and buy a mobility scooter.

The best part?  Almost all of those images in the glossy magazines are photoshopped to "improve" the body shape and remove skin blemishes.

Makeup and moisturiser adverts on TV also frequently do this (laughably bad, in many cases, but not all of them).  So it's not even an unreasonable standard, it's actually an impossible standard they're setting.

Yep.

And there's this social proof in advertising culture that helps this strategy fester. When a CEO goes to an ad agency or runs an ad on their own, there's no guarantee about returns on their investment, so they often look at other ads that they feel were successful and mimic them. If an idea is too original then it's riskier, as the degree of confidence that it will work is more unknown. Better to do something unoriginal with a more predictable outcome, the CEO thinks. This happens millions of times resulting in the endlessly rehashed mind feces of US media culture.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Richter

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on October 20, 2011, 07:49:16 AM
Pants shopping makes me SICK  :argh!:

Old Navy- Made for burly sailors to fit into, and be torn out of easily.
Guess- Describes the most efficient method for finding anything there that fits.
Express- The philosophy of the Thai sweat shop that produces their stock.
Most others- Rarely made for people with muscle mass to be more than a PETA spokeshead

Fuck this, when I move I'm gonna make all my damn pants myself from my own pattern

FIXT
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

Both my mom and my sister are rails. They're designed to be rails.

Unfortunately, I was designed to be a pear...
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

PopeTom

Quote from: Net on October 20, 2011, 09:43:51 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 20, 2011, 11:53:44 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 19, 2011, 07:56:58 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 19, 2011, 07:54:08 PM
It gets better: Women's sizes are not standard.  One company's size 6 is another company's size 9.

My personal belief is that it's a male conspiracy to keep women body-obsessed, shamed, and self-critical so they don't all get together and take over the world.

My belief is that women are involved, too.  But yeah, if you've ever seen the cover of Cosmopolitan Magazine, the "standard" that's set is laughable.  If a woman doesn't look like a 14 year old boy, she's a fatass, right?

And people will not even try to meet a standard like that.  They'll just give up and buy a mobility scooter.

The best part?  Almost all of those images in the glossy magazines are photoshopped to "improve" the body shape and remove skin blemishes.

Makeup and moisturiser adverts on TV also frequently do this (laughably bad, in many cases, but not all of them).  So it's not even an unreasonable standard, it's actually an impossible standard they're setting.

Yep.

And there's this social proof in advertising culture that helps this strategy fester. When a CEO goes to an ad agency or runs an ad on their own, there's no guarantee about returns on their investment, so they often look at other ads that they feel were successful and mimic them. If an idea is too original then it's riskier, as the degree of confidence that it will work is more unknown. Better to do something unoriginal with a more predictable outcome, the CEO thinks. This happens millions of times resulting in the endlessly rehashed mind feces of US media culture.

I think there is also a degree of take what works and do it bigger/brighter/louder.  So say when one add campaign seems to succeed due to thin models then that means out ad campaign will succeed more with thinner models.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Juana

Quote from: Mangrove on October 20, 2011, 09:21:20 PM
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/the-plastic-surgery-a-model-needs-to-look-like-barbie-2584798

Try again.
Still failin', Mang.

Also:
Unbearable Weight by Susan Bordo talks about this - the ridiculous, impossible body image set by pop culture. I haven't finished my copy yet, but what I have read is pretty good.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on October 20, 2011, 08:56:21 PM
Some people are just small, like Nigel's friend.  I'm glad she brought it up because there seems to be this thought that if you're tiny everything should be okay.  But when you have people saying things about how tiny girls look like little boys or the ever so hilarious eat a hamburger quips, it takes its toll.  Women can be beautiful curvy or petite or whatever, and it's just as unfair to either side to disregard that.

If I had a nickel for every time someone in high school asked if I was anorexic or if I ever ate I could fucking retire.
Assholes.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on October 21, 2011, 06:13:49 AM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on October 20, 2011, 08:56:21 PM
Some people are just small, like Nigel's friend.  I'm glad she brought it up because there seems to be this thought that if you're tiny everything should be okay.  But when you have people saying things about how tiny girls look like little boys or the ever so hilarious eat a hamburger quips, it takes its toll.  Women can be beautiful curvy or petite or whatever, and it's just as unfair to either side to disregard that.

If I had a nickel for every time someone in high school asked if I was anorexic or if I ever ate I could fucking retire.
Assholes.

Yeah, horrible consequence of the body dysmorphia awareness crusade.

Rather than health being equated with a person's individual, natural weight, it pretty much just said skinny is anorexic and called it a day.  So now more than one group can feel inadequate about their bodies!
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

AFK

Quote from: Suu on October 20, 2011, 10:54:20 PM
Both my mom and my sister are rails. They're designed to be rails.

Unfortunately, I was designed to be a pear...

I think there is a joke in here somewhere about touching the third rail but it is eluding me. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 21, 2011, 05:49:32 AM
Quote from: Mangrove on October 20, 2011, 09:21:20 PM
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/the-plastic-surgery-a-model-needs-to-look-like-barbie-2584798

Try again.
Still failin', Mang.

Also:
Unbearable Weight by Susan Bordo talks about this - the ridiculous, impossible body image set by pop culture. I haven't finished my copy yet, but what I have read is pretty good.
That link works fine for me,
Maybe this pic works for you?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Jenne

http://static.oprah.com/images/201111/omag/201111-omag-better-than-beautiful-600x411.jpg ~> the image Mang' alluded to...article came up fine for me in the link he sent.

Well, all I know is, best advice is to keep active and eat in moderation (though now "they" are saying not EVERYTHING can be EATEN in moderation--fuck them, tho...I'm sticking to my late-90's/early 2000's rhetoric thank-you-very-muchly).  Because once you round the corner after your early 30's...the paunch hits ya.  Usually in the gut.  And if you aren't already active, you'll just lose that muscle mass (fat OR thin!), and it gets harder to keep your body in shape--you breathe harder doing simple things, you sweat more for no apparent reason, you tire out after half the time it takes to do something rather than later on down the road when you've only gotten 3 hours of sleep...etc.

The last few years of my life have been a sinkhole where I stopped giving a shit for the most part and put my energy into things other than taking care of myself...and now I'm paying the price--I'm 38 and have a laundry list of shit wrong with me that for the most part can probably be fixed by losing 30 lbs.  Not that that is the magic bullet per se...but I know it would help.  And wouldn't you know it--just as I get off my ass and move it more...I get knocked up.  :lulz:

Ah...me...

Anyway, sizes are suck ass in general--if you can't sew, find a brand that fits your body and stick with it, $$ or not.  Or tailor the cheap stuff.  Both  of those are the best advice.